Sunday, April 25, 2010

Signs of the times

When it comes to holiday photos, I am notorious for making sure I'm conspicuously absent. It's not that I don't enjoy seeing myself in exotic situations (ok, I really don't), but there are so many other more interesting things to capture. Beautiful sunsets. Imaginative architecture. Colourful locals. 

But most of all, I love taking photos of signs. Because signs, when done right, really give you a feel for what a place is really all about. Like this one, from my recent Hawaiian getaway:


How great is that? I mean, this is miles beyond a little yellow ticket stuck under a windshield wiper. This required EFFORT. And tape.

Then there's this one from a trip to London a few years back:

 

Who could argue with that logic? It's funny because it's true.

Speaking of logic, educational signs are often boring...but sometimes, you come across one that hints at the personality behind the copywriter (for whom I'll always have a soft spot), like this:



But this has got to be my all-time favourite. I passed it one day as I was wandering through the town of Byron Bay in Australia -- and it stopped me in my tracks (nearly doubled over with laughter). Its brilliance lies in the perfect marriage of brutal honesty and tongue-in-cheek self-awareness:


I coudn't have said it better myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment