Monday, April 19, 2010

Location, location, location

Aloha!

After eight days of relaxation, degustation and complete beach gratification, I'm back. What a marvelous adventure! Exploring Hawaii was a dream come true, and as a solo trip it was rewarding in ways I didn't expect. Every day was full of discovery, from the one-day-only free admission to the aquarium (score!), to new and exciting places to eat. Such as this:

 

This is the oceanside bar at the Sheraton Waikiki, called The Edge, with the famous Diamond Head volcanic crater standing proudly in the distance.

Now, I wasn't staying at the Sheraton (don't even think I could've afforded to sleep in their parking garage), but after walking down a side lane and turning round a corner, I stumbled upon that heavenly view and decided to stop and treat myself to lunch.

Which, in fact, turned out to be the best lunch I had in Hawaii. Judge for yourselves:
  


Is that not the tastiest-looking burger ever? We're talking pure carnivorous heaven! The black angus beef was flavourful and juicy, and the caramelized onions perfectly complimented the chipotle rum BBQ sauce. The fries were perfection -- I don't know how they did it, but they were extra crispy, crunchy and just a little bit sweet, brought to life with a dusting of sea salt.  

But the best part -- and forgive me, but my Polish roots are about to show -- was the pickle. Yes, the pickle. It was firm and crisp with loads of delicious, briny, garlicky-dill flavours. Yet not too salty...the star of the show was definitely the pickle formerly known as cucumber. Mom would be proud.

And of course, the whole meal was made infinitely better by the view. I know they say presentation is what really makes a dish. But how can you not rave about a burger when, while you're eating it, you're staring out at this:

 

Waiter, I'll have another...


No comments:

Post a Comment